Chatham-Kent Sports Year in Review: August 2014
August saw a flurry of summer sports including football, basketball, and lacrosse highlight our list of top moments in Chatham-Kent sports, while offseason hockey moves continued to flow in as well.
Here is a look at the top moments in Chatham-Kent sports from August 2014:
- Shaun Suisham Re-Signs – Wallaceburg’s Shaun Suisham has been one of the NFL’s most consistent kickers, and has climbed into the all-time leaders for the Pittsburgh Steelers. That level of excellence earned the Steelers kicker a new 4-year NFL contract, and later earned him a spot as a captain of the Pittsburgh Steelers.
- Durston, Shepley Win OLA Title – Two Wallaceburg products, Joel Shepley and Jordan Durston helped the Six Nations Arrows to an Ontario Junior A Lacrosse title, sweeping the Whitby Warriors to advance to the Minto Cup. Later in the month, the Arrows would win a National Championship, capturing the Minto Cup.
- Carleton Wins Silver – Bridget Carleton was a key contributor at the FIBA America’s U18 Championships with Canada’s National Junior Team. Canada and Carleton fell to the USA in the gold medal game.
- Lacrosse Medals In Wallaceburg – Wallaceburg lacrosse players and teams grabbed a number of medals in August. Emily VanDamme and Tyler Davis both won National Gold with Team Ontario, while a pair of Wallaceburg Lacrosse teams won provincial medals, with the Intermediate boys winning gold, and intermediate girls winning silver.
- Fox Signs With Otters – Following in the footsteps of his older brother, Thamesville’s Trent Fox signed with the OHL’s Erie Otters, securing his spot with the OHL team for the upcoming season.
- Kellier Wins National Gold – Chatham’s Josh Kellier, one of the areas top runners, won Canadian National gold in the 2000m steeplechase in British Columbia. The CKSS student will be one of the top recruits for a University program this coming year.
- Pataki Lands In The OHL – Wallaceburg’s Brady Pataki became one of the youngest players in the OHL signing a contract with the OHL’s Sudbury Wolves, who drafted the hulking forward in this springs draft. Pataki played last season with the Chatham-Kent Cyclones.
- Nicholas Canada’s Best – Blenheim’s Breanne Nicholas paced Canada to a pair of wins over the USA in the 2014 Can-Am Women’s Rugby Series. For her efforts, Nicholas was named the Player of the Series for Canada.
Tilbury’s Brandon Montour also played for the Arrows.
TAGS blenheimBrady PatakiBrandon Montourbreanne-nicholasbridget-carletonchathamjoel-shepleyjordan-durstonJosh Kelliershaun suishamTrent Foxwallaceburg