September 22: Local Sports Briefs
– The Wheatley Sharks picked up their first win of the season last night as they skated past the Wallaceburg Lakers 9-5. Jack Leafeve scored three goals and added four assists for the Sharks, Lucas Raffoul added two goals while Brett Bowman, Mitchell Prudence, Delaney McDonald and Mitch Lantin added singles.
Alex Ritchie scored twice for Wallaceburg with Brett Farr, Justin Lindsay and Dylan Ryan each scoring one. Wallaceburg will try to catch their first win of the season on Wednesday night when they host the Lakeshore Canadiens.
The Dresden Kings travel to Essex tonight to play the 73’s. The Kings are 2-1-1-1 on the season while the 73’s are 4-1.
– Wallaceburg’s Seth Griffith is expected to be off skates for the next three to four weeks thanks to a sprained left MCL he suffered in a pre-season game against New Jersey.
– Travis Konecny of Clachan picked up his first NHL pre-season goal for the Philadelphia Flyers as they beat New Jersey 5-3.
– The LKSSAA Golf Titles are up for grabs today at St. Clair Parkway Golf Course in Mooretown. Port Lambton’s Brendan Seys of UCC is the defending Boys Champ while CKSS student Brooke Mackinnon of Chatham is the defending girls champ.
– “A” Girls basketball hits the court today. In Jr. Girl’s action the Ridgetown Royals will play ESPC while the Sr. schedule will also see the Royals and Patriots battle while LKCS travels to Sarnia to play SFX, Christian is home to Tilbury while NLSS will be in Blenheim.