Local Sports Briefs: July 27, 2015
- Tanner Cole is Wallaceburg’s newest golden boy. Cole brought home a gold medal from the Canadian National Box Lacrosse Championship. Cole had a goal and an assist in the 7-2 win gold medal game against B.C..
- Emily Van Damme brought home a silver medal from the Junior Women’s National Lacrosse Championship. Team B.C. knocked off Team Ontario in the gold medal game 6-4.
- Bridget Carleton scored 12 points for Canada at the FIBA Under-19 Women’s World Basketball Championships seventh place game. China beat Canada 67-47 to send Canada home with an eighth place finish.
- Nick Steward drove four horses to victory at Dresden Raceway on Sunday making him the leading dash driver with 25 wins on the year.
- Tate and Caleb O’Leary will have long hair for another week. Their promotion at South Buxton Raceway to cut their hair and donate it to a Cancer Charity was washed away with the feature races at South Buxton.
- The Wallaceburg Sting beat Coatia “B” 3-1 to advance to the First Cup Semi-final in Western Ontario Soccer League play.
- The Chatham Attack have advanced to the Second Cup final after dropping Strathroy 2 nil and Chatham United thumped Taxandria “B” 5-0 to move on to the fourth Cup Final.