Lacrosse Still On Hold Amidst COVID-19 Pandemic
The Wallaceburg Red Devils, and lacrosse teams across Ontario would be playing their 2020 season by now.
The COVID-19 pandemic however, has continued to push the pause button on sports.
Ontario’s governing body for lacrosse, the Ontario Lacrosse Association released an update on the COVID-19 pandemic and the possibility of lacrosse returning this summer earlier this week, extending their postponement of in-person lacrosse activities until at least May 15.
“The Ontario Lacrosse Association, in consultation with its Board of Directors, have been monitoring the most recent developments with COVID-19 and the ongoing public health emergency, and are currently assessing next steps for the 2020 season,” the OLA statement said. “We remain optimistic as we continue to model multiple Return-To-Play action plans based on a number of scenarios, although we recognize that there is not a uniform direction available as it relates to municipal sports at this point.”
“No one wants a lacrosse season more than us,” the OLA said, addressing the question of whether or not a season will occur in 2020. “As soon as it is safe and appropriate to proceed, OLA leagues will be granted approval to begin operating with modifications that ensure lacrosse is played in 2020.”