OHL Sets February Return Plan, With Several Major Question Marks Remaining
The OHL has a plan.
But we all know in 2020 plans mean nothing.
Perhaps that’s why the league is targeting a February 2021 return-to-play.
OHL GM's meeting has concluded. Some details…— Jeff Marek (@JeffMarek) October 28, 2020
– Season starts Feb 4th
– Training camps start Jan 23rd
– European + American players arrive Jan 8 + quarantine
– 40 game season
– 4 teams from each conference make playoffs, so 8 teams total.
Of course the OHL’s plans include quarantine time and a shortened schedule.
– No discussion about fans during the meeting but that's not a surprise at this point.— Jeff Marek (@JeffMarek) October 28, 2020
– OHL season would conclude May 16th and a reminder the Memorial Cup has already been pushed back and will run June 17-27.
As well, the big questions for many, will fans be allowed? And what to do about the statement from the Ontario government that the OHL will not be allowed to return with contact?
There are still many questions on other fronts as well. What will happen with teams from the US? How large will ‘divisions’ be?
– 1 or 2 exhibition games Jan 29 – 31 then right into the season.— Jeff Marek (@JeffMarek) October 28, 2020
– There was no talk about what happens with U.S teams.
– No details about how how games/schedule will be determined but it is believed teams may only play against 4 or 5 other squads.
At this point, it remains wait and see, but people are discussing the return of hockey.